Some of it you might remember some of these from my Liebster Blog Award post awhile ago. But, I've been lucky enough to get several new followers recently and I thought I would just throw this up to anyone who is curious about Who I Am and what makes me tick. I love to read other bloggers' personal posts and I haven't done too many of those. Soooo, I thought I would share some warts-and-all facts about yours truly! If nothing else, my kids can show it to my grandkids someday.
Anyhoo, if you have nothing better to do, grab a glass of wine or a cup of coffee and let's chat!
OK, I've compiled a list of factoids that pretty much sums me up. (Cuz I'm a crazy list-maker, for reals. I make lists of lists I have to complete. I love lists.) So here goes!
1. I've always thought it's ironic that I was born on All Saints Day. It is the day after Halloween. Halloween would have much more appropriate. There is a reason that it's my favorite holiday. I want to be a ghost when I die.
2. I love my dogs and would rather be with them than most people other than my own family. In real life, people can annoy me easily. But, my dogs are like my own children. You do not mess with my kids or my dogs.
3. I am probably the most impatient person I know. I can't wait for anything. And I'm a wicked perfectionist about projects. Sometimes, I just don't start something, because I know I can't do it good enough for me.
4. I almost never wear shoes. I go barefoot all the time, even in winter, and leave a pair of flip flops or slippers in my car, in case I have to go in a store or something. I have broken more toes than I have toes. (I'm really accident-prone.)
5. I can't read a book over several days. I have to read it until it's done, which has resulted in many a sleepless night. And I will read really trashy romance novels right alongside of what is generally considered to be more elevating literature. LOL My Kindle has over 600 books on it right now and almost 100 are bodice-rippers. 50 Shades of Gray is old hat to me.
6. I love my laptop and my phone. They hold my collection of stuff that I love - pictures, music, information, lists, my projects, my writing - and I don't like other people using my tech at all. I'm very selfish about that, which is why there are more computers in my house than people.
7. I hate actually talking on the phone, though. I'm a horrible phone chit-chatter. On my phone, each of my family members literally have their own ringtone, because I tune out the default one without even realizing it. But, I'll text or write the whole stupid day.
8. I will eat popcorn anytime, anywhere. I can't watch a movie without popcorn. It's a serious addiction, but if I try to break it, I will never see another movie. Once, a guy who wanted to date me brought me two four-foot-tall bags of popcorn. I dated him! True story!
9. I'm going to be the worst empty-nester in the history of old people. And I don't understand how I can have two of my kids in college. I think there's been a rip in the time-space continuum.
10. All I wanted to be when I grew up was a wife and mom. And a writer. Or a detective. Yeah, that would have been good, too. The kind that had all the suspects over to a dinner party, though, and then dramatically revealed the killer. Not the real-life kind that basically trip over the bad guy.
11. My first favorite music was popular standards from the 30s and 40s (i.e. Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, etc). I love Jazz and The Blues. Which doesn't negate my deep personal love for Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Dave Matthews.
12. I know every single word to “Jesus Christ Superstar” and will sing it sometimes, start to finish, for no reason (usually when I’m alone LOL). I even do the orchestral parts.
13. I'm really weird about getting recognition and awards and stuff. You know how everyone likes a pat on the back for a job well done? Not me. It wigs me out. I never know what to say. I'm a perfectionist with my work, but don't tell me how good I do.
14. I cuss like a sailor. Seriously, it would make your hair curl. I have actually invented my own cusswords, because I run out of the regular ones. Seriously! And I’m the most sarcastic person you will ever meet.
15. I can watch a documentary on anything. I'd watch one on making soap. My favorite segment on Mr. Rogers was when they went to places to show you how stuff was made, like how they fill toothpaste tubes or make crayons. That stuff is just cool. And Ken Burns is a gift from God.
16. I don't like potato chips. I just don't.
17. I don’t know my left from my right without checking, but I know the compass points instinctively. If we are in the car and you tell me to turn right, I have to quickly ascertain which hand I write with.
18. When I was a kid and wanted to be a writer, my favorite name for my lead character was “Mark.” My favorite country was Scotland and I bought Fodor’s travel books about it. Fast forward fifteen years and I ended up marrying a guy from Glasgow named Mark! How freaky is that? We’ve been married since 1990 and we've never hit "the rut." We are still as crazy about each other now as ever. PDAs happen. Sorry, kids.
19. I collect silent movies on DVD when I can find them. One of the best I got recently was John Barrymore’s silent version of “Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.” And Turner Classic Movies is on all day in my house. Most movies made after 1950 are crap. Not all, but a stupidly large percentage. And, yet, "Jay & Silent Bob Strikes Back" is one of my favorite movies. Don't question the logic.
20. I’m the worst liar in the world. I can’t even pull off the courteous “white lie”, like telling someone they look nice if they don’t. If you think you look fat in something, but you don't really want the truth, I'm the wrong person to ask.
21. I don't like presents. I would rather know what I'm getting. I love buying stuff for other people, but I can shop for myself, thank you very much.
22. I yell at people in traffic. It's a stress relief. I make up names for them, like "Father Time" (old guy driving 20 miles an hour) or "Trixie TooCute" (chick chatting on her phone or putting on makeup while she drives). Just bloody drive and get out of my way, please.
23. I can imitate Popeye and Elmo really well. My Elmo is SPOT-ON. I've done birthday phone calls for little kids as Elmo. Oh, and I can do Ethel Merman, too.
24. I was raised for the most part by my grandfather. I moved 13 times by the time I was 13, which is weird. Don't you think that's weird?
25. Sister Mary Ancilla taught me in grade school that God would sit me on his knee when I died and answer all my questions. I'm holding her to that. I got a lot of questions. Like, where is Amelia Earhart, is there really a secret chamber inside The Sphinx, and what happened in Tunguska in 1908?
26. I play video games. I love video games. I have let my kids stay up way too late to play video games with me.
27. I hate extremists. Really. Particularly political extremists. Party is irrelevant. Treat everyone equal and with respect or get the heck out of my face.
28. I'm a good singer. I sang on two tracks on The Hubster's CD.
29. I love thrift stores. I'm a thrift-store junkie. It's a personal failure to me if I have to buy something new.
30. I am a major history buff and armchair archaeologist. I read anything I can find on discoveries anywhere in the world. I think the burning of the Library at Alexandria is one of the greatest tragedies in human history.
31. I like freezer smell. Like the old freezers that you had to defrost? Or those big old ones in the grocery store? Yeah, that smell. I will open the freezer doors, stick my head in, and take a big ol' whiff.
32. I don't like bananas or raisins. One is like eating nasty baby food. The other is like eating bugs. I know bananas are good for you. That's why I have spent my children's entire childhoods lying to them about how fantastic bananas are.
33. My mother was a hoarder and I kept it a secret as a kid. I watch the shows Hoarders and Buried Alive all the time, because I actually find it comforting to see that it is a diagnosed condition now.
34. I don't blog on weekends. It's my rule. If I happen to be online, I'll jump into a quick link party or blog hop, but weekends are family time and that's sacrosanct. If I can't grow my blog during the week, then I guess it just won't grow.
35. I drink the cheapest Lambrusco wine I can find. To be honest, the closer it is to boozed up Kool-Aid, the better I like it.
36. I've been the cookie sale mom for my daughter's Girl Scout troop for three years and I hate it. I just love my daughter a lot and our troop leader is a wicked funny chick who basically strong-armed me into it.
37. I'm a textbook Scorpio. I'm the Good, the Bad, and the What-The-Heck?!?!?! of the definition of the sign. I don't read my horoscope or anything, but it's definitely weird how much that sign is a true representation of me.
Well, that's some facts about me! If you read this all the through, I wish I had a reward for you or something, because that's pretty awesome! LOL Next week, it's back to projects and tutorials, but if you are feeling brave or bored and you are a follower of mine, I'd be tickled if you'd share a few of your quirks the comments! I love getting to know my bloggy friends better!